Lessons Learned from Camping

Today is the last day of our 11-days-off-for-the-price-of-3-days Easter break. Gareth and I have returned from a cold, wet and windy but totally awesome week camping, first in the Cradle of Humankind near Krugersdorp in Gauteng, followed by a few days high up in the Drakensberg mountains on the Free State side in Glen Reenen. It’s funny, but even as I sat there in our tent, freezing my toes off at 2 degrees Celsius in the middle of the day, I couldn’t be more happier. There is such a sense of freedom while being on holiday, being outside in nature, even if the weather is less than ideal. While Gareth was busy making hot drinks on our gas stove to fortify ourselves with against the cold, I knew that there wasn’t anywhere else I’d rather be at that moment.

But now we’re back, just about ready to face reality again, and we’ve had some time to reflect on the week away. Here are some of the things we learned while camping the past week:


I’ll use the next few posts to document this trip while it’s still fresh in my mind. The Spain 2010 series has been going on a lot longer than anticipated, and there’s still a lot to tell, but that will continue after I’ve regaled you with tales of cashew-eating squirrels, dialling dodos, the food in Clarens and the beautiful vistas from the top of the Drakensberg mountains.

Labels: , , ,