My First Business Trip

After many months of envying colleagues sent to Australia, Dubai or the UK for work, I finally found out two weeks ago that I will be going on my first ever business trip this year. And as it turns out, it's an international trip. I will be gone for most of November, almost three weeks, and will be working onsite at one of my company's clients in Tanzania. The details haven't been finalised yet, but at this point it looks like I will be in Dar es Salaam the first week, followed by almost two weeks close to Shinyanga in the north. Which I've noted with barely suppressed glee is relatively close to the Serengeti National Park.


View Larger Map

So my mission is clear: find some free time to go out and explore. 

I've heard from others that they rarely had time to venture further than the office and the hotel while on business trips, and I know that at the site I'm going to the regular working hours are from 6am to 6pm, and they work weekends. That doesn't bode too well for me. 

I probably won't get the chance to see the annual migration of the wildebeest, or hike to the top of Kilimanjaro, or gaze upon the shores of Lake Victoria. But maybe, just maybe, I can satisfy a little bit of wanderlust and catch a glimpse of one of the African countries I've always wanted to visit.

Have you found the time to explore an interesting destination while on a business trip?

Labels: , ,